.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
obvious musings
Friday, January 28, 2005
  From Amsterdam airport
Long layover at Amsterdam on the way to Delhi from Boston. Blogging from Schiphol airport.

Some things stood out immediatly :

Things are super expensive as surprise surprise 1 Euro (no Kroner, Euro everywhere) is about 1.45 US dollars. I can rapidly see my Euro back pack dreams going up in smoke.

Adult material is prominently displayed and sold everywhere.

As I type this I also notice that there is a "Euro" sign on the "5" digit on the keyboard.

Airport is nicely functional, not as glitzy as some American or South East Asian airports.

People are very friendly and everyone speaks/understands English with an almost desi type of accent.





 
Comments:
Haah! Going back to India.It really sounds nice.Have a Good Trip! (escaping the cold weather is a good enough reason to go home)

>see my Euro back pack dreams going up in smoke.

Not encouraging.This implies I have to do my EuroTrip quickly before the dollar hits 2 to 1 aginst Euro.(Given the current economic conditions thats not all that far)
 
Wonder if the women would match the pleasures of the legal marijuana/pot bars?

I made the mistake two years ago of not getting the 'Schengen Visa' and was pretty much stuck at the airport between the Rijk's Gallery exhibit, chocolates, postcards and perfume shops at Schipol while the real pleasures of the city lay beyond my reach.

Of course nothing like going home.
 
Gotta love Amsterdam and their complete lack of censorship laws.
I saw a clip of a TV show where an American guy said "I've always wanted to do this..." and dropped his pants and flashed the audience. The talk show host says "Well, you can do that, it's Amsterdam"
 
Gurcharan Das's book is pretty good overall. Let me know what you think of some of his predictions.
 
Have you given up on blogging too?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
I post things which if someone else would start saying they would start by saying "obviously .. blah blah". Due to my limited and slow perception I usually realize things late, so it happens often that I suddenly realize something which the whole world already knows.. I post such late realizations here about society, culture, business, politics and economics..

Anirudh Garg, Boston, Software Engineer.

Past Musings
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
May 2005
June 2005
August 2005
September 2005
November 2005
October 2022


Powered by Blogger