.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
obvious musings
Wednesday, December 01, 2004
  Your own personal stalker !
I had heard about crazy psycho's stalking and snooping around celebrities and beautiful women, but if you are a guy of Indian origin living outside the country and planning to get married to a girl in India then you might have the privelege of your personal stalker.

Here from TOI:
Minister Jagdish Tytler has decided to appoint NRI volunteers who will make discreet inquiries about bachelors who have set their sights on the Indian marriage mart. "Though this is coming a little late, at least the government thought of it at last. It is really sad because many innocent girls take extreme steps like committing suicide after being dumped, as they don't want to trouble their parents. This step will definitely help curb the number of cheating cases," says Soumya Mishra, DCP (Crime).

I will now be looking over my back frequently, will also make sudden jumps around corners to catch the snoopers. If you are in a similar situation I suggest you to do it also.

 
Comments:
Quite a funny idea. Though I think rarely are politicians really serious about such things beyond the initial publicity.
I would blame the girls(and boys too) who want to reach American shores to pursue whatever mistaken ideas they have about America and the American dream.Any marriage that is founded on the chief principle of just climbing up the economic ladder and not really wanting to find a companion cannot last or be a happy one.
Its not that only Indians are in the mail-order-bride business. There are other countried with people wanting to do the same. A Ukranian woman successfully sued the matchmaking company for finding a match that ended in her getting beaten up and abused. You can find that story on NPR's World programme.
 
What's most interesting is that the US-based desi guy is the one who has to prove his sterling reputation, unblemished by scandal etc. If the average H1-B desi guy who spends time watching desi movies, going on pot-lucks, spends weekends discusses world politics and swapping recipes for crisp dosas is anything to go by, I think the investigation is a wasted effort.

Let's drop pretenses : If someone were to ask me to describe myself in two words, I'd say "Amitabh Bachan", and who'd blame me ?? I'd love to say "Amol Palekar", but that would be too *goofy* to even make it past the potential mother-in-law !!

I've been told time and again that its a downhill market for grooms in the US. I dont think I'll argue that point anytime in the near future ... *sigh*
 
hee hee..i find the whole idea amusing. why should the govt. get into this in any case? anwyays, i suppose those setting out to deceive will continue to do so..
 
[Hirak] Thats true, its the greed to get a "phoren" dollar earning bridegroom for their daughter that is responsible for most of these cases, in their haste to elevate their false social status they dont really care much about the person as such.
On second thoughts, I take that back, I have to get married you see :).
[Gautham] Yes my friend, you are right, chalo vapas !
[Priyanka] Good point, even more than what you said, I am not sure how exactly will they actually carry it out ? :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
I post things which if someone else would start saying they would start by saying "obviously .. blah blah". Due to my limited and slow perception I usually realize things late, so it happens often that I suddenly realize something which the whole world already knows.. I post such late realizations here about society, culture, business, politics and economics..

Anirudh Garg, Boston, Software Engineer.

Past Musings
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
May 2005
June 2005
August 2005
September 2005
November 2005
October 2022


Powered by Blogger