.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
obvious musings
Saturday, December 11, 2004
  Nostalgia Overdose

Nostalgia. Originally the word meant to signify a serious medical disorder inflicted on a person when he longs for his native land, it ofcourse has a significantly more "milder" connotation today. Sharing one's own nostalgia is tricky business, however.

It is tricky for several reasons, it can probably not be completely shared, it is born out of the life that I lead earlier, it was what I experienced in past and it is not entirely clear that it would generate in you a similar kind of bitter sweetness that it does in me. On that cautionary note, I realise that for a lot of you these images don't make sense, but for me and I hope for many of you too, it will bring back those old days (good or bad, I don't know, that was the best that we knew then) when we were growing up in India, when there was but one TV channel and we knew the entire show timings schedule verbatim (I can still remember when many of the shows played), when we learnt a major part of our history and mythology through the wonderful comics of Amar Chitra Katha, where the antics of Supandi and Chacha Chaudhary, though exactly opposite in their cerebral capabilities both delighted us.

Giant Robot

From what I remember, this show used to come on Saturday evenings and involved a Japanese kid, who had this ultra cool watch, using which he could control, you guessed it, the Giant Robot. The Giant Robot (who now when I look at him looks like a pharaoh ? ), had this utlra cool, rocket type propellers on his back so it could fly. I remember me and my brother jumping all over the place when the kid gives him a command to fly/get activated, screaming on the top of our voices, Giant Robot is coming ..


Vikram aur Betaal

This program also used to come on Saturday evenings. Arun Govil a.k.a maryada purushottum "Ram" himself, played Vikramaditya who had to take Betaal, the wily ghost to a destination without speaking at all during the journey. Betaal always used to tell him a story, which would end in the form of a puzzle and ask Vikram to choose the correct alternative. The stories were rather interesting and this serial was probably inspired from the series in Chandamama.

I especially used to like the opening music of the serial. Just a few days back a friend and me, were shouting on the top of our voices, singing "Vikram aur Betaal" over a bridge here in Boston. Yes I am crazy like that.


He-Man

This is used to be on every Sunday morning. This was the bestest cartoon ever. An "ordinary" prince finds a sword, which if he aims towards the sky and announces "I am He-man, I have the power" transforms him into the most powerful man in the universe, He-man. He and his friends are perennially fighting the evil Skeletor and his cronies. With so many interesting characters with their own little quirks (like having 360 degree vision (Triklops) , to know magic (Orko), to be able to ram into anything (RamMan) ), it provided enough imagination fodder to feed the mind of a 10 year old.





Amar Chitra Katha

I suspect for millions of Indian children, including me they have been the biggest source of knowledge of Indian mythology and history. Between the time when we were not yet ready to read extensive treatises on these topics but we had started to read, this was an ideal tool to whet our imagination and quench the inquisitiveness that starts to permeate within us during those ages.
The have also spurred research.
For who want to relive their past ACK reading experience or want to brush up their Indian mythology here is a link to the complete Ramayan in ACK.



ACK also published Tinkle, a sort of comic children's Reader's Digest with several interesting short stories in a comic form with some classic characters who reappeared in stories in every other edition. Who can forget Supandi, Shikhari Shambu, Ranjha, Tantri the Mantri , Kalia the crow, Hodga and so many more.




Chacha Chaudhary

Disclaimer : Chacha Chaudhary comics had a poor man's feel about them. The cartooning (by Pran) was not by any stretch of imagination art, and the stories too, largely nonsensical.
Chacha Chaudhary was an old man with a razor sharp intellect (or as the comic's oft repeated tag line, "chacha chaudhary ka dimaag computer se bhee tez chalta hai" ), who lived with this giant import from the planet Jupiter, Saboo. Together brain and brawn they solved every problem that came their way.
Simplistic that they were, I still read tonnes of them during my vacations. They were a super easy read and were entertaining I guess at times for their sheer implausibility.

There were several other comics which were pretty popular. Indrajal comics had Phantom, Mandrake and Bahadur (see comment from Gautham for more on him), Tintin and Asterix ofcourse and the ubiquitous Archie comics. Wondering what captures the imagination of a young kid in India today, while I croon this :)..

Yeh Daulat Bhi Le Lo, Yeh Shohrat Bhi Le Lo,
Bhale Cheen Lo Mujhse Meri Jawaani,
Magar Mujhko Lautaa Do Bachpan Ka Saawan,
Woh Kaagaz Ki Kashti, Woh Baarish Ka Paani

 
Comments:
yes bro , i do vividly remember jumping around when giant Robert used to come (where the hell did u fish out the photograph from )
, and then the the great starting music of he-man , and the " hheeeeee MAN iiiii haave tthe pooower "

yes i remember all the chaca - bhatijas , naagrag , and most of all amar chitra kathas .

and then there was famous five on Sundays ( I am not sure weather it was called famous five though )
then the chtrahaar on Wednesdays for which we used to wait all week , and the movies on Saturday evenings ……

this post left goose pimples all over me . this is good stuff …

i some times feel that , the great serials and cartoons on tv have just stopped coming .... but i know that is Just NOSTALGIA .


Amit
 
loved it..esp Giant Robot..was crazy abt that :))

Pri
 
Dude,

You missed two important characters from the stable of Indrajal : Bahadur, and Phantom. While Phantom is mostly a creature of the west, it is Bahadur who remains a largely underrated comic hero.

Bahadur is a police officer at large, and part of the elite CSF (Central Security Force) based in Ramgarh. A recurring theme of Bahadur comics is the fight against dacoits. While varied in flavor, it seemed that dacoits were the Main Enemy with Bahadur and friends. Friends of Bahadur included Bela (his female companion), Lakhan, Sukhia (an officer of the CSF), and Mukhiya, who seems to lend his muscle to cream the bad guys as required.

A little backdrop on the context will not be remiss here. The Chambal River valley was a region notorious for dacoits and brigands of all stripes. Why it all started is probably is subject for another blog. It ended in the early 70s largely due the efforts of Jai Prakash Narayan who came up with a rehabilitation plan for dacoits. This was about the time Bahadur made his debut.

What is interesting is that Bahadur is a uniquely Indian comic hero. Some say Bahadur is based on Amitabh Bacchan, but I disagree. Bahadur, in his blue trouser and orange kurta, is as original a creation as comics in India have ever seen.

As for Phantom, I found a better description than I could come up with.

http://www.toonopedia.com/phantom.htm

-Gautham
 
Any recollection as to what the real-life name of 'betaal' was?? Of all names - "Sajjan"!!! :))
 
Hola,
Nice blog...

Yup, those were the days... Remember waking up for Heman in the morning. Some other cartoons on the tv that were sort of popular and were my favorites were "The Cossacks", Disney cartoons.. Mickey &
Donald which I used to watch a lot at my friend Chaitanya's place..

Then my favorite Asterix, the gauls and the romans... I guess I used to read them again and again. I will update your blog with info on this sometime. Tintin was also a good one.

You forgot to write about Panchatantra... Man I used to have so many of them...

Remember Shikari Shambu. Hehehehe..Not sure if he was inspired from Jim Corbett.... whose stories themsleves were scary atleast at that age.

-Tushneem
 
The blog was hilarious and so were the
pictures!

-Koundinya
 
Nice blog,

Can remember those days before cable came into picture where the Doordarshan music would start at 5 pm and till then the screen would be filled with this multicoloured bars and a high pitch whine.

One of the duties I had on saturday night and sunday night was to notify my neighbours that the doordarshan transmission had started and that the movie would start soon.

I guess we can have enough discussions on this topic with all the Nostalgia involved.

I still have a huge collection of Tinkles back home. I did read all of it when I went back for a visit 2 years ago. Tantri the Mantri being my favourite.

-Rohit
 
Oh I sure have gotten nostalgic after reading this post! I'll add Fraggle Rock" to this list! We had a black and white TV at home them, I was stunned when I first saw the series in color!
 
Wonderful stuff that I have been dished out in this post.Some places you had exactly written what I was really nostalgic part.Actually cried in the last part of Giant Robot (in the bathroom) because he would come no more back into my TV.

Amar Chitra Katha is STILL the best way to educate oneself methinks.Learnt all my classics from that.

Tinkle was more of a pop culture kind of stuff but nevertheless would read it.In fact published a couple of stories in them(Yummy Rs.20 per publication)

Read Chacha Chaudari when I was touring UP and other northern indian states..

Overall a very enjoyable trip down memory lane..Kudos.
 
Nice trip, Chang. But as Chunds put it our childhood would have been incomplete with Bahadur and Phantom and...Tinkle...and Target (remember Gardhab Das, Dick Moochwaala?).
Chunds said there was speculation on whether Bahadur was based on the Big B. Well I dunno abt that, but there was a comic series based on Big B where he plays himself AND also moonlights as a kick-ass friendly neighborhood hero called Supremo! The comic book was complete with paraphernalia from AB's movies - e.g., the Sholay coin, the Coolie hawk - you name it. I believe that Jaya Bacchan was the one who suggested the idea for this comic book. Connected Trivia : Jaya B is credited with the "story idea" for the movie, Shahenshah! "Andheri Raaton mein..."
Homegrown comics like Chacha Chowdhary and Bahadur had a typical "third world feel" abt them. More often than not the stories laced with "morals". The cartoonist Pran has also created some great characters which essentially identified with the Indian middle class - Raman, Channi Chachi, etc. - pretty good at times.
BTW, do you recall the first cartoon which was aired on DD (at least after we started realizing what TV was) - it was "Jamie and the Magic Torch". There was this kid who had a magic torch that helped him teleport from one place to another.
Then of course, the TV cartoon serial I remember most vividly is "The Jungle Book". Nana Patekar as Sher Khan - wow! Can't get any meaner than that. Also there used to be this indigenous cartoon called "Gayab Aaya" - it rocked! Last but not the least - the friendly neighborhood Spiderman! Still remember how Rasna (and Pioma Industries) ads ate up 15 min of the 30 min slot of my favorite show. The reason I loved the Sam Raimi Spidey movies was because it had the same feel as the cartoon series!
I have spent most of my kiddie years up North where I was exposed to likes of Super Commando Dhruv and Nagaraj. I am not sure if many ppl have read these comics but some of them were quite enjoyable.
I have been on a old comics collection trip for some time and have been collecting old ACK from nondescript places - have build up quite a collection now. Next in line is Indrajal Comics. :-)
- Guru.
 
Dude man:

I still have those Giant Robot episodes carefully stored on Video cassettes. I've watched each episode so many times, at one stage I think I knew all the dialogues by heart - and I still would watch them again and again, damn that No. 7 and that Robot were addictive!

Thanks for bringing those memories back.

Vivek vivekpai78@yahoo.com
 
Hey,
Nice blog!
Giant Robot was my favouritest EVER!!
Loved the series and of course tinkle and chandamama..time to get hold of some of these right now!
 
Hey,
Nice blog!
Giant Robot was my favouritest EVER!!
Loved the series and of course tinkle and chandamama..time to get hold of some of these right now!
 
I agree with Lal Bal. It was really nostalgic reading his article...reminded me also of my early childhood... how we used to gather at a neighbors place to watch Giant Robot ! How I would wait for Betal to fly off to a tree - out of Vikram's reach - what scary it was then
!!!!!!
Good reading and great topic, lal bal !
Take care,
-Apurva.
 
Hey Anirudh,
Was nice reading your blog.Remember all those days of Champak and Chandamama!!!
--Ranjini
 
As you said, nostalgia is very much based on the life you lead, that is probably why I identify a lot more with Indrajal (Phantom, Mandrake, Bahadur ... ), Tinkle, Target and the like, more than I do with Chacha Choudhary and Chandamama (anyone remember that one?).
Now that you mention it, giant robot does look like a pharaoh!! I distinctly recollect refusing to move out of the house at He-Man time unless my parents promised me that we would be reaching a place with TV, in time to watch it!
Oh, and does anyone remember Fireball XL-5?
 
Yes , I do remember all those comic characters.Infact whenever I think about my childhood,the first things that come to my mind are these comics and old TV serials.
Hey why didn't u mention Chandrakanta,Alice in wonderland and Disneyworld.....
Well Thanx a million times for refreshing those childhood memories.
Well!!! I don't think I can ever forget them...
 
Those days when Doordarshan "rocked" India I remember the \Sundays when the roads looked empty in the mornings...the reason? People were hooked onto their television sets watching Rangoli and Mahabhaarat and Ramayan.And everyone watched these serials so piously u'd think missing them was a sin! But those were the days...nd i miss them so.Hey dont u guys remember Small Wonder the serial on Star Plus? and who can forget Genie? Oh man what wonderful programmes.Aladdin and Denis the menis stole our hearts.How could they not? The innocence and fun ....oh those were the days.
 
check out www.thecomicproject.blogspot.com for online versions of Phantom. Mandrake and Bahadur coming up.
 
hmm..nice trip down nostalgia lane.gues am not the only one who sobbed at the last episode of Giant Robot (btw, does anyone recollect the name of the villain whom GR propels to death?) used to be enthralled by Fireball(deepak, u have company).i remember their huge blinky eyes best. there was this series on DD about a boy who turned into a rock at sunset.does anybody remember the name (m really bad at that). gues they just dont make them like that anymore..sigh!
 
nice.. i also wrote something like this once.. apart from comics and TV cartoons, a whole lot of other things..
BTW There was this russian children's mag that we used to read a lot..called Misha..that was really nice too..
 
Yeah it was called 'Stone Boy'. used to come on sunday morning. i liked the song, but dont remember the story tho
 
I think Bikram Aur Betal used to come on Sundays.. not Saturday !
 
Thats really nice and comprehensive list.

even i will be creating such list on my blog

thanks for the info

Please do visit my blog : http://mandar-punaskar.blogspot.com/

for intresting news , movies and articles
 
San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love toronto international auto show then you will want to be there! All kinds of toronto international auto show will be in attendance. For more information go to toronto international auto show
See Ya There!!
 
I am a journalist and I am working on a story. Do you know about groups that like to read and exchange Phantom and Mandrake comics. These comics were a rage in the 80s and are published even today. currently, vendors tell me that these comics disappear as soon as they land at their shops. There are collectors in Mumbai who have trunkful of these comics and who refuse to let anyone know that they have it. Im trying to locate these loyal fans. Btw, they call themselves Phans. So do u know anyone? Pls reply asap on anjalirego@gmail.com
 
Really nice post!
Does anyone remember coconaka macanaka Ad?

Here is my take on growing up in the Indian 80s :)
 
Thanks guys . here is youtube link for Vikram aur Betaal serial in DD.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6B732EA371892D3C
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
I post things which if someone else would start saying they would start by saying "obviously .. blah blah". Due to my limited and slow perception I usually realize things late, so it happens often that I suddenly realize something which the whole world already knows.. I post such late realizations here about society, culture, business, politics and economics..

Anirudh Garg, Boston, Software Engineer.

Past Musings
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
May 2005
June 2005
August 2005
September 2005
November 2005
October 2022


Powered by Blogger