.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
obvious musings
Wednesday, July 14, 2004
  How do you tell the difference between a desi and an ABCD ?
This post is about a epiphany I had today morning, a most "hair" raising experience if there was one..


Today morning we had a fire drill.No, there was no implement with cutting edges involved, nor there were any pyrotechnics involved, it was more of an exercise in testing the musical instruments in the auditory organs of my body ("ear drums" for those who had no clue of what i was talking about.. no more hints from now on :) ), and although it seemed like an everyday ho-hum occurrence for all the americans in my office,I was shaken to the very "Indian ear core" and was totally "shrilled" out.( Although the eerie oooooo bow of the gali ke kutte (dogs) bhoking, the neighbourhood "basti" woman quarelling and the thak thak of my building's watchman danda as he did his rounds in the night didnt effect my (y)"ears" in desh and I slept like kumbhu (of the karan category), this was something else).


However the sound did something else too, it jumpstarted the thing between the organs being tortured. As I walked out I suspect people must have seen a distinct increase in the circumfrence of my head, it was because of the neurons in my brain now crazily aroused, jumping around in uncontrollable brownian motion pushing the "gray" walls of its "matter", in short I was in fullto chahca chaoudhary ka dimaag computer se be tez chalta hai form ..


And then as I was standing there, looking alien like with the bloated head, I saw two Indian gentlemen(cant be sure they were gentle, so scratch that, no, I will not explain how do I know they were men, aha you ask ? how do I know they were Indian, Good question, I think brown skin ..and ofcourse my medula oblongata was in prime form ..so these things came naturally) ..but i digress, this the problem with you, you keep asking stupid questions and lead me astray, I was sharp today morning, now I am the regular bozo, what if I forget what I had to tell in the first place.. Plis, no interruption ..


Anyways as soon as I saw them I could make out man (not necessarily gentle) A was mera types, came to the US to attend grad shool or direct L1 visa, lives on Top Ramen, shares bedroom with 4 other guys, idea of fun is to watch zee or sun or gemini (as case maybe, we are multilingual society i say)tv movie trailors, blushes at the mention of "ash", can tell you ball by ball account of Tendulkars first gali cricket innings when he was still in pre school, speaks only in three letter techie acronyms (ASP, JSP, .NET, SQL, COM, XML etc.. ) and B was an ABCD ( I dont know much about them so I will not describe them :| )..Buttt (no thats not the part of female anatomy I most prefer, but that is the topic of another post, I wanted to close out this para and jump out of this thought, but I know what you are thinking as alternatives ..chee chee.. what did you think it was, anyways ..to clarify matters it is in fact the tip of the fourth toe of the left foot, why ? .. my wish .. i dont have to explain what i like ..and you stop asking pointless questions, I had already given warning before ) .. since brain was firing on all cylinders, I went one step ahead, I thought ki how did I manage to instantly figure out the difference between the two different species, ki who was desi and kiska baap was a desi, ki uncle kaun? ( lame reference, will be understood by die hard fans of Andaaz Apna Apna) ..


and.. then I had the Buddha sitting under the Bodhi tree enlightenment moment, the answer was right in front of me, it was all clear shampoo ..(i got carried away, years of bombardment on indian channels, scratch out the shampoo) .. it was the ..it was the ..trumpets blowing in the background ..cylindrical, keratinized, filaments characteristically growing from epidermis ..yes ladies and gentlemen, bhaiyon aur unki behon ..it was the baal, juttu, hair (I know only these languages please feel free to add more) that was the difference.. the Indian A had dull, lifeless, disgruntled spaghetti (yes yes, I personify my food.. as Govinda says, meri marzee) plonked on his head and the ABCD ( not at all confused about his hair ) had fresh, gelled, full of life, pointed hair.. that was it, in my moment of clarity I saw the one thing which distinguished them..


So now you have it, you know the secret too, the desi baap of the ABCD bacha had handed him a shiny new bottle of gel on each of his bday and thus the difference ki ABCD ke baal motiyon jaise chamak rahe the!(another obscure reference to an ad, Dabur lal dunt manjan, damn the time I spent on my "Dyanaora" TV watching Indian ads).But dont take my word for it, go out see for yourself and tell me if it is true and I can publish my findings in the "obvious musings journal of immigrational generational differences".


Did I mention that I was standing in front of CVS ..what do you think I bought next ? A shiny new bottle of American Crew Gel, no no not for me ( you are not reading carefully are you ).. for my future ABCD beta ofcourse (there was a sale na ..isiliye) ;)

 
Comments:
hahah!
Hilarious blog!

in fact u can probably write a thesis on these ABCD's...they'v almost become a generation of their own!

Not to forget the "Ghar ka achar" and "mummyji and papaji"..that too with an accent!:-)
 
Awesome post Anirudh! Total rolling on the floor laughing material! The lil parenthesized tangents that you go on are absolutely howlarious! :) The 'blushes at the mention of "ash"' and Andaz Apna Apna references were all fundoo! :D

A minor thing --- The gelled hair, while not typically the asset of a 'came to the US to attend grad school' types, can sometimes be found on a special category of desis --- The kind who grew up dancing to 'Michael Jaikishan' videos (as opposed to Govinda and Chiranjeevi like everyone else), started talking with an accent the moment they got their visa, and would rather be dead than be seen in non-brand clothes (No, 'Sai Krishna Cut Piece Store, Ameerpet, Hyderabad-16' doesn't count as 'branded' apparel, if you were wondering), and yes, whose hair has never known what fresh air is like, since its always cloaked in copious amounts of gel!

There are desis and there are ABCDs. And then there's the in-betweens --- the wannabes. The truly confused souls, who are desi at heart but are too embarrassed to admit it. Category C :)
 
I had so many Qs but most of 'em were answered as the post progressed ;-) N i dig that Ash and AAA touch (wot a movie) !! Dyanaora - ahem - nice to see ppl stil remembering it :-)

Nice post Ani.
 
yo wassup bro.

itna bada posting hai... thoda chota karke likhta to main bhi padta... :-|

mere khayal se tu ek "summary" section bana de- for lazy ppl like me.

-supae
 
Anirudh,

That was a great piece.Here is another topic I wish you would blog upon.That of DCBA(Desi Confused Became American).The FOBs who try to conform to the stereotypes.Keep chuggin...
 
Funny style of writing you've got. I enjoyed the blog.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
I post things which if someone else would start saying they would start by saying "obviously .. blah blah". Due to my limited and slow perception I usually realize things late, so it happens often that I suddenly realize something which the whole world already knows.. I post such late realizations here about society, culture, business, politics and economics..

Anirudh Garg, Boston, Software Engineer.

Past Musings
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
May 2005
June 2005
August 2005
September 2005
November 2005
October 2022


Powered by Blogger